The race continues with the regional sim racing tournament of the E1 Championship, which returned after a two-week break to (safely) celebrate Christmas and the New Year’s.
P1 to P5 finishes:
- Stratos Motorsport – Naquib Azlan (1:26:408) – 5 points
- BlackWolf Racing – Kalen Chin (1:26:415) – 4 points
- Team Safehouse – Alister Yoong (1:26:691) – 3 points
- Stratos Motorsport – Yevan David (1:26:780) – 2 points
- RSG – Ayman Aqeem (1:26:865) – 1 point
It’s unsurprising that current league leader, Naquib Azlan of Stratos Motorsports, took the lead quickly at the start of Race 1, followed by a battle for P2 between RSG’s Ayman Aqeem and BlackWolf Racing’s Kalen Chin. The BlackWolf racer from Australia first secured the P2 spot before Aqeem surpassed him by Lap 5.
On top of that, after Azlan went for his pit stop in Lap 8, Aqeem took over as the Race 1 leader, with Chin in tow finally at P2. The Stratos driver did his best to climb back up the ladder, only to settle at P4, right behind Ariff Azmi of Stratos Scuderia. At least Azlan got the fastest lap time. And kudos to Azmi for finally securing a podium spot at P3!
P1 to P3 Best Lap times:
- Ayman Aqeem (RSG) – 1:29:138
- Kalen Chin (BlackWolf Racing) – 1:29:390
- Ariff Azmi (Scuderia Stratos) – 1:29:808
Race 1 Best Lap time:
- Naquib Azlan (Stratos Motorsports) – 1:43:715
The beginning of Race 2 was a little different from the usual pattern, with i1 Racing’s Ben Seek leading the pack while being chased after by top driver Mikko Nassi, who’s hungry for a comeback. Though Nassi overtook Seek by Lap 3, it was a good effort by Seek to keep the apex racer at bay for as long as he can. However, Nassi’s triumph was shortlived, as Azlan raced to the top by Lap 5 and led the majority of the race.
After Azlan’s pit stop by Lap 14, Nassi took the lead once again, but this time, he’s contested by Ayman Aqeem, who slowly but steadily climbed up from P9. What ensued was a great battle between the duo that lasted for laps, before Nassi succumbed to the RSG driver’s swift cornering by Lap 18, leading to Aqeem’s second race win in a row.
To end the night, Aqeem pulled off a terrific stunt of doing donut rings on the circuit while screaming inaudibly to celebrate his awesome victory – it was an infectious sight that even this writer couldn’t help but giggle.
P1 to P3 Best Lap times:
- Ayman Aqeem (RSG) – 1:28:578
- Mikko Nassi (Team Safehouse) – 1:29:331
- Naquib Azlan (Stratos Motorsports) – 1:29:027
Race 2 Best Lap time:
- Alister Yoong (Team Safehouse) – 1:28:575
Overall Round 6 standings
Top 3 Drivers of Round 6
- Ayman Aqeem (RSG) – 51 points
- Naquib Azlan (Stratos Motorsports) – 36 points
- Kalen Chin (BlackWolf Racing) – 29 points
Overall E1 Championship standings
Despite not getting any P1 seats in Round 6, league leaders Azlan and Nassi are still holding onto the top 2 spots, courtesy of their exceptional performances previously. Aqeem’s outstanding driving today made him trade places with teammate Mika Hakimi, and aside from Alister Yoong of Team Safehouse and WULF Virtual Racing’s Colin Lee making it to the top 10, the rest is largely the same.
Top 3 performers (Drivers)
- Naquib Azlan (Stratos Motorsports) – 261 points
- Mikko Nassi (Team Safehouse) – 214 points
- Ayman Aqeem (RSG) – 193 points
Top 3 performers (Teams)
- RSG – 360 points
- Stratos Motorsport – 349 points
- Team Safehouse – 283 points
E1 Championship Season Zero is organised by eGG Network, Axle Esports and Astro, in partnership with RaceRoom and eRacing GP.