Gamers that tend to have intense sessions may see their war stations tank some damage in the process (looking at you orange juice spillers). Fret not as ASUS have their fans covered, with the introduction of their new Perfect Warranty service. From 2020 onwards, ASUS will be providing the Perfect warranty service on top of their official manufacturer warranty for customers. The additional protection service covers damages that do not fall under the scope of the manufacturer’s default 2-year global warranty, including customer induced damages.
ASUS Perfect Warranty is an exclusive warranty service from ASUS for one time only during the first year of the laptop’s manufacturer warranty. This premium service will see ASUS bearing 80% of the total repair cost for spill damages, electrical surge damages or drop and accidental breakages. Customers shall only bear the remaining 20% of the total cost and full labour fee.
In order to claim the ASUS Perfect Warranty, customers can drop by any authorized ASUS Service Centers in Malaysia or Brunei with their damaged unit and purchase receipt / invoice. It is worth noting that it is only eligible for ASUS consumer and gaming laptops launched from 1 Jan 2019 and 2020 onwards, including its charging adapter and battery (but not inclusive of its accessories) purchased from 1 Jan onwards (or laptops launched officially in Malaysia from Jan 2019 onwards).
Customers who purchased and activated their ASUS laptop, which launched in Malaysia in the year 2019 and 2020, from 1 Jan 2020 onwards, are automatically eligible for ASUS Perfect Warranty without additional charges.
Customers may refer below to the list of eligible laptops:
ASUS customers can read on more about the all-new service’s terms and conditions here.